Bachelor of Theology (Honours)
validated by the University of Chester
WHO IS THIS COURSE FOR?
King's Bachelor of Theology (B.Th.) is designed for anyone wanting to study the Bible and Theology in-depth, specialising at an advanced level in biblical interpretation.
The B.Th. is suitable for those seeking further theological education and training for existing Christian ministry, knowledge, understanding and skills for future full or part-time ministry, anyone wanting to become more active and effective lay Christians, and those who simply desire a deeper knowledge and appreciation of the Bible and Theology for personal spiritual development.
- A strong focus on a detailed knowledge and understanding of the Bible and its interpretation
- Equips students to study at an advanced level and determine for themselves what the Bible means
- The opportunity to develop strong analytical and evaluative skills in Theology
- A strong focus on independent study, research and writing
- An opportunity to explore a range of theological issues within an Evangelical environment
- Online programme providing flexible learning without having to move from home
- Competitively-priced online degree, saving maintenance and taught course costs
- Formal certification with a respected British university
The B.Th. consists of three stages: Levels 4, 5 and 6. Level 4 has shorter units focusing on knowledge and understanding, while Levels 5 and 6 modules are longer with wider reading, more independent research and greater focus on evaluative and other skills.
Levels 4 and 5 focus on Biblical Hermeneutics, while the final B.Th. stage explores various theological areas, drawing on the hermeneutical skills covered at earlier levels. A Certificate of Higher Education (CertHE) and Diploma (DipHE) are early exit awards for those not completing the full B.Th.
For detailed aims, structure and content view the B.Th. specification on the Chester website. For content of individual modules scroll down and click on underlined module codes in the box.
In today's busy age time is a precious commodity and church, ministry, family and work commitments demand flexibility. Often it is unrealistic or impossible to leave home to attend a full-time residential Bible college for several years, especially for those already in ministry.
The B.Th. has been designed with flexibility in mind. For example, while it is offered by distance learning there are opportunities to attend some lectures and seminars if you wish. Students can accelerate or slow down your studies as required. Meanwhile, this distance learning course allows new students to enrol any time without having to wait for the start of a new academic year.
For those who have already completed some theological studies elsewhere advanced standing (known as credit exemptions) may be available. See the Accreditation of Prior Learning page for further information.
The King's B.Th. degree is validated and awarded by the University of Chester. Graduates are eligible to attend the university's graduation ceremony held each year at Chester Cathedral.